Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Tribute of a Mother to Her Firstborn

Love is a word that is often thrown around in a variety of contexts. Love is discussed in movies, books, diaries, on television and within the confines of a romantic relationship. Since becoming a mother over twelve years ago, I have discovered a love that is unconditional, uncompromising, unpredictable and admittingly frustrating at times. A love a mother has for her child is unique, completely unexpected, and stronger than I ever thought possible. It is a love that has no boundaries, limitations or expectations.

At times, the love I have for my children can be fraught with insecurities, frustrations and feelings of helplessness. Daily, I ask myself if I am doing everything right; I seek validation and encouragement. However, my love is constantly present even when I'm making dinner for my family, as I'm helping them with homework, when I'm tucking them into bed at night -- the list is virtually endless.

There are no boundaries or limitations to the love I have for my children. My love comes from a desire to provide the best possible life for my children. I never want them to suffer pain, go hungry, be rejected or see the harsh and dreadful realities that all too often comprise the human experience. But part of love is the ability to let go. As a parent I have to let them fall so that they can learn to walk, let them cry so that they learn to self-soothe, and be left alone to think and feel on their own. To love is not to ensnare but to set free.

Spencer, my firstborn, recently turned 12 years old. As I watch him grow both intellectually, physically, spiritually and emotionally, it's amazing to see the love I have for him to continually grow as well. Someday he will leave home to go on a mission, go to college and will likely become the father of his own baby whom he will love. I know my love for him will still be as strong and continue to grow as I watch him become more independent and self-sufficient. Someday I will probably rely on him for the things I do now for him. But for now, and I know in the year's to come, I am proud to be his mother and proud of the young man that he has become.

MY BABY BOY THROUGH THE YEARS:

My Newborn Baby Spencer - March 14, 1996

Halloween - October 1996

Spencer's First Birthday - March 1997

Cutie boy at the park - June 1997

18-months-old and ready for nursery - September 1997

2-years-old - June 1998

3-years-old - June 1999

Preschool Picture (3 1/2 years-old) - October 1999

4-year-old birthday - March 2000

4-years-old - June 2000
(after just moving to Michigan)

Ready for pre-school (4 1/2 years old) - September 2000

5-years-old - September 2001

6-years-old - April 2002

7-years-old - December 2003

At his baptism (8-years-old) - March 2004

10-years-old - May 2006

3 comments:

Megan said...

OK, you are no longer allowed to make me cry!!! That was so sweet and I loved everything you said! You'd better save this for Spencer to reflect on later in life - he will cherish it! I love all the pictures! It is funny to see how much Logan and Alex looked like him when he was their age (some are identical to Logan in there). You are an amazing mom with amazing kids! We love ya!

Summer said...

That is really sweet. I feel like I have a glimpse of what Alex and Logan will look like when they get older. It makes me sad to think I could be doing this for Russell in a few years. We need to find a way to make them stop growing!!

Tricia said...

This is sooo wonderful! You did an excellent job expressing your love for him. I'm right behind you with Jessica - she'll be 12 in May - it's crazy how fast they grow up. Your kids are getting so old & big & they are definite cuties! Spencer will be a lady killer in a few years (if he isn't already) and Jessica's turning into a little beauty. Glad to be able to catch up with your family through your blog!