Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Attempt to Tame Monsters, Brawls & Bugs

It's been a very relaxing summer so far. Just what we needed after going non-stop all school year. I've noticed the children needed it as much as I did. We don't have any huge vacation plans this summer---the first summer that's happened in a while. We actually used all our vacation time during the children's breaks during the school year. But, we've made a special effort to go on occasional outings and day-trips around the area to see and experience new things. We also have a weekly library day, park day, and Friday is our adventure day. We usually invite friends with us on our adventure day.

Anyway, it's been nice to see everyone, especially Spencer and Jessica, more laid-back and at ease this summer, although we still get the very common sibling BRAWL. Those never take a vacation. But I had an idea a few weeks before school got out for the summer. I decided to make an attempt, or some may say bribe, to get these battles to lessen. So far, it has helped. I made a "Star Chart" that I introduced at FHE the Monday night before school was over. The chart is on a dry-erase board that has each one of my children's names on it. It's posted it in the kitchen where everyone would see it frequently throughout the day. I told them I would watch them all week and if I saw or heard them do something kind, thoughtful or respectful to one another (including their parents), they would get a star by their name. But, if they did something rude, disrespectful or unkind, one of their stars would be wiped away. If by the next FHE they were able to make it to their minimum requirement (each one is different because of their age), they would get to do something fun of their choice, within reason of course. Some of their individual rewards have been sleepover parties, a trip to the movies with Mom or Dad, a game night with Mom & Dad, etc. They have loved it, especially the individual attention they have received, and it's been a great motivator! Every once in a while someone hasn't reached their star limit by the end of the week but usually, it encourages them to do better next time. This has been a life-saver for me this summer. A complete turn-about from the last year!

The Star Chart


So, because we've been doing so many fun things this summer, the house chores have become one of the lower priorities on my list. Anyone who knows me very well knows I'm a clean freak! Especially about tidiness. When my house is cluttery, I can feel myself become unhinged. My whole person becomes deranged and crazy. Josh would probably tell you I turn from "Jekyll" to "Hyde". But, I've resolved myself not to let it become a huge issue this summer. I've suppressed my feelings of insanity. Hopefully that doesn't come back and bite me in the rear end. But, to make sure things don't get too out of control around here, I've been trying to do a chore each evening, usually after the kids go to bed. My biggest and worst "MONSTER" chore is, has and probably always will be THE LAUNDRY! I absolutely detest doing laundry, yet, it is never-ending!! I've tried to have a good attitude about it but how? What can I say good about spending a whole day doing laundry? Normally, because I'm doing SIX people's week-long laundry, it takes me an entire day. During the school year I perfer to get it done on Monday so it'll be quickly behind me. But this summer, it takes me several evenings to accomplish. The only thing good about laundry is the tremendous load off my shoulders once it's done! I have disliked laundry ever since Joshua and I first got married. Josh's least favorite chore is doing the dishes, so after we made this discovery, he decided to make laundry his weekly chore and I always did the dishes---until Spencer was born. Then I had to stop working and Josh took on a full-time job while also going to school full-time. So, ever since then, it's pretty much been up to me. Sometimes Joshua will help me fold the laundry in the evening after the kids go to bed but I've become pretty particular about the way I fold laundry too. Joshua thinks I'm crazy. He thinks since I hate laundry, I shouldn't be so particular when someone offers to help. He has a point. I guess I'm a little obsessive-compulsive about it.... Me? You think?

My "MONSTER" chore!!


As I was making dinner in the kitchen the other day, I listened to my boys play downstairs in the basement. I suddenly heard all of them running around saying:

"I'll get it!"
"No, I can get it."
"You got it last time. It's my turn."
"But I saw it first!"
"Wait, let me go get my shoe."

I didn't know what they were talking about until Spencer appeared from the basement to get a kleenex from the bathroom. He said that Alex had killed a big spider in the basement and he needed a tissue to clean it up. For some reason, this struck me funny. I suddenly had a flood of memories from when I was a child. I grew up in a family of mostly girls, so whenever we saw a spider or any kind of bug, we would scream and hide! I'd run and tell my Dad to come kill it. He was our hero, our exterminator!

A particular memory sticks out in my mind when I was 5 or 6. We were living in Annandale, Virginia and I was in my bedroom upstairs. I don't remember what I was doing, I just remember seeing a wasp flying around the room. I guess the first thing I thought of was hiding in my closet because that's what I did. After I closed the door I started screaming and hollering for someone to come help me for who knows how long, but as a young girl, it seemed to be forever. No one was coming and it started getting really hot in the closet. I decided to peek out to see where in the room the wasp was. I couldn't see it but was really tired of being in the closet. I sank to the floor and crawled my way to the bedroom door for my escape. I quickly closed the door behind me and waited until my dad got home from work. He inspected my room from top to bottom and somehow found and killed the wasp. My hero!

A little more dramatic than the spider situation with my boys, don't ya think? It's been fun learning about boys! I'm glad I have 4 of them to kill the BUGS that get in my house!

2 comments:

Desdichado said...

That star chart is working relatively well. The only complaint I have about it is that the kids often don't think much about it until the last few days of the week and then they try to cram as much "niceness" as they can into the last two days or so.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the Star Chart, Julie! I'm learning all these great ideas of what to do with my OWN children from you. :) By the way, we've been using some of your recipes from the cookbook for our dinners recently...they're very good! We tried the Cheesy Mini Burgers tonight (we also like it with BBQ best!) love you